OMRP History

In 1908, homesteader Frank Foster and his family planted a grove of trees to be part of their farmyard. Although the Fosters left the area after Frank's death in 1926, the spot became known as Foster's Grove and, during the 1930's, was the home for annual sports days and picnics.

In 1942, the RM of Souris Valley purchased the land and helped to finance a cenotaph on the site in 1947. A bandstand was also built in 1946.

This little grove of trees became a part of Oungre Memorial Regional Park in 1963.
A dam was built just west of the park along Long Creek, which was used for swimming. A golf course was also built.

A building was erected in 1967 to commemorate Canada's centennial year, and served as a concession booth, restroom facilities with showers, and park meeting place. A heated, covered swimming pool was added in 1969. Up to 400 people take swimming lessons there each year.

The community center building was built in 1984. One year later, an 18-hole mini-golf course was completed.


Canada Day Celebration